Dinner tonight was a rice bowl with shark, plus green tea pound cake for dessert

The shark was an impulse buy from the local market. It was like $3.50/lb. I got paranoid after reading online that sharks pee through their skin. The shark steak was originally dinner from last night – washed extra well, and heavily seasoned with lime juice, then pan-fried. I detected not the slightest bit of pee! We had a heck of a lot left over, so it turned into the meat for tonight’s rice bowls.

rice bowl

The rice was just basic steamed jasmine rice, you can’t even see it in the picture. I chopped up the leftover shark & pan-fried it a bit with additional lime (lime worked really well with it flavorwise!) plus some chili oil for a bit of a kick. The other toppings included:

– fried egg (and quite thoroughly fried at that, as runny yolk is no friend of mine)
– thinly sliced raw carrot
– bok choy pan-fried in a bit of oil, broth, soy sauce, with sesame seeds sprinkled on top
– thinly cut pieces of nori
– scallions to garnish the egg
– fish roe to garnish the scallions (it’s garnish Inception!!)
– hoisin & sriracha for the sauce

All the colors of the ingredients worked well together to give the dish a good amount of contrast.

rice bowl mixed

It was still aesthetically pleasing after everything was mixed together, despite what my camera skills might say! I’m really glad I left the carrot raw – it gave a nice crunchy contrast to some of the softer ingredients.

For dessert, I made the second green tea cake in this post. The dough seemed a bit thick, so based on a few other similar recipes I looked up, I added a second egg. Also, the recipe called for 3-5 tsp of green tea powder, and I went with just over 4 tsp.

green tea pound cake

At 30 minutes, the inside was still very much not cooked. Took more like 60 minutes for me. It looked really nice coming out of the oven, though!

green tea pound cake slice

The bottom and side crusts were a little tougher than I might have liked (probably the long bake time). A shorter cake might have been more optimal. However, the top crust and all of the inside are quite delicious. And now I have a giant bag of matcha powder I get to try using in a bunch more things. Yay!

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • TwitThis
  • Reddit
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Technorati

11 Comments

1. iphoneipafiles November 20, 2015 3:42 am

amazing site. The content used inside it is awesome. Really thanks for sharing
    such nice knowledge with us. Again thanks. :)

2. Kellyleona November 27, 2015 2:00 am

I have some cooked rice and mushrooms out of the cooler defrosting and I am taking a gander getting it done shot of what I can utilize it for. I don't require formulas, just some someone write my paperideas and any tips.

3. Winnipeg Caterers April 6, 2016 3:42 pm

Good daay very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your wweb site annd take the feeds additionally? I am satisfied to search out so many helpful information here in the submit, we want work out extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

4. APK July 27, 2016 2:19 am

Cool and nice one.

5. APK July 27, 2016 2:20 am

Brilliant work.

6. Asma90 October 1, 2016 9:57 pm

You have wonderful and very tasty Dinner tonight and these are my favorite things which you have eating last night. Almost every weekend a rice bowl with shark and Green Tea Pound cake for Dessert dinner of our family. When i got link of this post which have same recipe then like to read your experience with it and happy it's great one.

7. Bikes November 10, 2016 11:56 pm

All Build Your New Ride ship to your door 99% assembled – that means you just simply need to install the pedals and handlebars with the tools! Build your new kids bike now!

8. Quade36 November 13, 2016 11:04 am

Full recipe of a rice bowl with shark, plus green tea pound cake for dessert contain this article. The pictures shows the whole recipe looking very impressive. I love that recipe and must try it to take the real taste of this recipe to make at home. I need trust edubirdie in essays and what a lovely website having amazing recipes.

9. Nicole November 20, 2016 2:04 am

Would you like to know how to make green tea latte? Well, I learned it through 2tgreentea.com so I would like you to visit the site, whenever you feel easy.

10. Ea sport apk February 23, 2017 11:59 am

this is very great and nice post………………………..

11. herry February 27, 2017 6:34 am

What a nice post is it. I really enjoyed reading this great post. I want to say thanks to you for this great sharing. Keep this great work up. affordable plumbers Denver