So this is a thing that happened:
So I have this friend. And he has a birthday. And I offered to make a cake. I wanted to do something Megaman-themed, as he is a fan. So I googled around, seeing what other people have done. One thing led to another, and the above monstrosity came into being.
So this particular 8-bit face required 186 pixels. Meaning 186 cupcakes. I made just under 200, in case I needed backups. Took 2 cake mixes, using tiny cupcake pans, filling each about 2/5 – 1/2 full of batter.
I only had 2 pans, so this ended being 9 batches. That was a very long day of baking.
Next, as it’s good to have a plan for these sorts of things, I drew out a diagram of sorts:
This made it a heck of a lot easier to divvy up frosting into colors and such. My strategy for that? I did chocolate frosting for the black pieces (plus black food coloring) and vanilla frosting for the rest. Actually, I did a badly botched meringue frosting, after having already failed at making petit fours style frosting. It was a long day, but enough confectioner’s sugar seemed to fix things. Frosted all the black pieces first, set them aside. Then did the white pieces, and began building out the face as I frosted those, then the skin tone, then finally the blues.
I was pretty darn happy with the outcome. Probably the most interesting baked item (Items. 186 of them!) I’ve done in a long time. And now I am incredibly sick of baking, and look forward to not doing any for a long time to come!