Delightful Potato Latkes

So I recently found myself with an abundance of potatoes that were making their best effort to grow roots in my cabinet. I’m fairly slow at eating potatoes, but am also unable to resist the allure of a 10lb bag of spuds that costs less then a buck. Thus, it became time to add more potatoes to my diet. I have begun this process by making latkes.

I got my recipe from whats4eats.com which, incidentally, is my new favorite website for finding interesting things to make. I’ll repost the latke recipe I used here, which I slightly altered due to lack of desire to measure things, etc.

-2 lbs of potatoes, peeled (I ended up using two big potatoes and one small potato, no clue now much they actually weighed, I just guesstimated)
-2 eggs
-1/3 cup flour
-oil, salt, pepper

The potatoes were supposed to be grated, and I got about halfway through grating a large potato before the unthinkable happened: I grated myself. This is one of my worst fears, and generally causes me to fear graters. I was brave, up until the point where i suddenly felt pain on my thumb where there wasn’t pain before. I brushed off the potato bits only to realize that the potato bit that wouldn’t come off was actually skin. A few seconds later, the blood started. It was rather minor, as these things go, but I still yelped in pain and ran for the bathroom. After some refreshing peroxide was applied (few things are more satisfying then the sting of peroxide on a wound) and I located a band-aid, I then coerced Drew to continue grating for me. He did so, until the pain of his carpal tunnel kicked in. At that point, I decided I was best off just hacking up the rest of the potatoes into teeny bits with a knife.

So the potatoes soaked in cold water for 15-20 minutes. Then I emptied the water out, and added the flour, eggs, and some salt + pepper, all of which I mixed thoroughly with a spoon. Here is a dynamic photo of latke ingredients in action!

Latke ingredients in action!

Next, I poured a heap of vegetable oil into a pan, so it was about 1/4″ thick, and cranked up the heat. I plopped globs of mix in by the spoonful, and patted them flattish with the spoon. They sat for a few minutes, whereupon I flipped them, let them sit a few more minutes, then removed them with a spatula and let them drain on a paper towel. Repeat until batter is gone.

latkes!

They were so incredibly good. Traditionally, you’re supposed to eat them with sour cream or applesauce. We didn’t have any sour cream, but I had several with applesauce and it tasted really good. Being a good American, I also ate some with ketchup.

The latkes tasted very similar to hash browns, except that these latkes were better. I think adding the egg & flour gives them a nice soft inside which, in contrast to the greasy crisp outside, is really excellent. I look forward to soon making a serious amount of latke batter and freezing it, for insta-latkes in the future. It’s a bit of labor to chop up all those potatoes (me being deprived and lacking a food processer, it’s quite tragic. Hmm, wonder if a blender would work?), so might as well get it all done in one fell swoop. And, it’ll be a great way to kill off all those potatoes before they take over my cabinet with their magical growing roots.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • TwitThis
  • Reddit
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Technorati

13 Comments

1. SupaWaifu December 22, 2009 7:25 am
    • ptocheia December 23, 2009 2:56 am

Thanks!

2. Twist December 22, 2009 11:14 pm

I worked at a restaurant and the chef used to demonstrate chain-mail gloves by chopping his gloved hand as hard as he could with a giant chef knife. I never had the courage to try that, but they were darn cool to have. I wonder how much they cost? Could stop future grating accidents.

• ptocheia December 23, 2009 2:57 am

I'm gonna have to snout around for a pair of those. Or just wear leather gloves (or, more specifically, leather gloves which neither of us care if they get shredded!)

3. freedom251smartphone February 23, 2016 2:24 pm

This smartphone is going to boom as you are seeing the response the website is getting.

4. Clark Best August 10, 2016 12:06 am

I see the tasty recipes available in this the post. I am very happy to read in this the post. This recipe is very useful for us. Some people use the recipes for the good health. I am very happy to read in this the post. keep it up.
    [url="http://hangtagssuppliers.co.uk/"%5Dprinted hang tags supplier[/url]

5. Mr Chips August 10, 2016 12:07 am

printed hang tags supplier

6. Mark November 3, 2016 11:33 pm

My friend send me link to your post, when I read this post I am very happy and want to say that you have shared really fantastic material.

7. Android Towelroot November 8, 2016 9:37 am
  8. Iris January 16, 2017 7:08 am

I see the tasty recipes available in this the post. I am so really happy to read in this the post. This recipe is very useful for us. Some people use the recipes for the good health. I am very excited to read in this the post. keep it up. I want to get more information to related this post. [url="http://readyforgoodcredit.com/"%5Dhow to build up your credit[/url]

9. Iris March 16, 2017 12:02 am

This is very nice and so great post, I am so impress to visit in this post, Thank you so much for sharing this awesome web blog, Keep it up. [url="http://askdrlove.com/"%5Dlove never dies book[/url]

10. Sophia May 7, 2017 11:09 am

The delightful potato looks tasty the way you describe the whole story with step that how to make it is very easy.But first we learn that and make it again again because in one time we not make it perfect. resume writing service

11. Arshad ali May 29, 2017 1:41 pm

The next time I read a blog, Hopefully it does not fail me as much as this one. After all, I know it was my choice to read through, Thanks
    casio