Sunomono, or Rather, What to Do With All These Cucumbers

I had briefly considered growing cucumbers this summer. It’s the first year ever since I’d moved out of my parents place some 10ish years ago that I’ve had a yard. Or rather, if you’re willing to define ‘yard’ as ‘lying 4 refrigerators on their sides, tracing the area, then covering that area with dirt plus a few trees plus the remnants of the past several decades worth of gardening remains by the people who’d rented the refrigerator-sized strips of dirt before me’. (Don’t worry, no refrigerators were harmed in the making of my yard.)

In any case, I strongly suspected that I might find myself awash in cucumbers by people who were actually capable of growing them. I was right. So, I found myself with 5 cucumbers. 5 delicious mutant cucumbers. I have to wonder how grocery store cucumbers always end up looking all symmetric and phallic and such, all so similar to each other. What happens to the gazillions of wacky looking cucumbers? All the ones that come out of real gardens, not the Great Cucumber Factory in the Sky the apparently supplies all of these freakish perfecto cucumbers to your and my local grocery stores?

So, what does one do with all of these cucumbers? Why, sunomono of course!

sunomono

Sunomono is a delightful Japanese salad. The particular form above that I made consisted of me dumping some rice vinegar and sugar in a bowl, mixing, then adding sliced cucumber, a bit of seaweed, some sesame seeds, and stirring again. It’s quite good! It would go quite well with sushi, in fact. Alas, my meaningful and hinting glances at the Sushi Gods have been in vain as of late, so no sushi for me.

Other things you can do with cucumbers that don’t require too much effort:

-Goes well with pretty much any sort of salad.
-Pretend to be an upper class snooty person from the 1980s and make cucumber sandwiches.
-Eat them straight (they’re kinda like apples!) (dip in dressing as needed).
-Stick them in a regular sandwich of the ‘meat and cheese and lettuce and tomato’ variety.
-Garnish your ramen with chopped cucumber.
-Wear one down the front of your pants, in case of emergency.
-Hollow one out and make a flute.
-Dress one in miniature diapers and put it in a carriage.
-Two words: Bathtime Buddy
-Dip one in orange paint and try to convince a really drunk person that it’s a mutant Cheeto.
-If desperate, one could be used as a backup bladder.

And that, right there, is every single possible use for a cucumber. That’s right, folks, throw out your ‘Fun with Cucumbers’ books, because it’s a complete sham.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • TwitThis
  • Reddit
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Technorati

9 Comments

1. dell February 26, 2016 3:52 am
  2. My blog February 26, 2016 11:35 am

The use of salad is good for health that will save your body to produce the fat. The cucumbers recipe seems amazing and the history is quite knowledgeable, the fresh cucumbers from own farms are healthy and poison free.

3. Frank@Vacuum April 24, 2016 10:11 pm
  4. @zaddibacha73 May 14, 2016 11:13 am

Our full-service center is dedicated to helping you maintain your investment and is ready to take care of all your rug needs. We specialize in all aspects of fine rugs; from appraisals and customization to restoration and quality rug hand washing. At Blue Paisley Fine Rugswe offer various in-home services including home consultations and approvals which allow you to experience the rug of your choice inside your home to ensure it is a perfect fit with your existing décor. Similarly, we work with interior designers and production companies; we even offer a specialty rug rental service catering to production and commercial sets.Blue Paisley Fine Rugs

5. @zaddibacha73 May 23, 2016 10:00 am

At Spa Samira Laser Clinic, our number one priority is customer satisfaction. Highly experienced staff, certified aestheticians, and competitive prices are among reasons why our clients choose us. With services ranging from facial peels and waxes, to laser treatments and permanent hair reduction, we strive to exceed your expectations by offering exceptional customer service, employing state-of-the-art technology and using top-of-the-line products. Contact us to schedule an appointment, and one of our aestheticians will be happy to talk to you.anti aging clinic

6. Sun Joe July 16, 2016 4:10 am

Truth is fascinating, with doing very fast and easy to make ingredients, crunchy cucumbers, sour, sweet, slightly sweet and eating spicy peppers, using pork served with boiled or eaten play are all delicious.

7. ASIF October 3, 2016 9:25 am

Taking their promotion needs on the globally web choosing help an knowledgeable SEO organization, an industry is able to acquire hundreds and hundreds, or even many individuals which they would have not been able to otherwise Read More Here .

8. Asif Khan October 4, 2016 9:11 am

Other connecting techniques consist of using great quality company directories or weblog leaving comments and forums as well as using public networking and social bookmarking sites Read More Here.

9. rusheassy November 29, 2016 6:11 am

All the new comers can be highly promoted on the same timing. It will be the first and new information on the first new forms. These quad qualities can be show from every side.